Friday, March 03, 2006

Shot Woes!

When I began learning about adoption from Liberia I heard all of these people saying how they spent a thousand dollars (or more!) just getting immunizations. So you can imagine my relief when my Yellow Fever and Polio shots were "only" $86 together. We knew that was a reasonable rate from our County Health Department, but we didn't know HOW reasonable until very recently.
Enter the Wichita Sedgwick County Health Department! NOT my favorite place!!! This is where my mom needs to get her immunizations done, and she needs more than I do. Here's the cost in Wichita (with the Tulsa costs in parentheses).
Yellow Fever: $155 (Tulsa, $76)
Polio: $80 (Tulsa, $10)
Typhoid: $77 (Tulsa, $48)
Hep A & B: $485 (Tulsa, $135)
So it's going to cost $797 for my mom's shots in Wichita when it would only cost $269 for the SAME vaccines in Tulsa! This is not a cost that we were anticipating, but we know that the Lord will provide. :0)

0 comments: