Friday, July 25, 2008

Packed and Ready

Well, I'm almost packed! This is helped by the fact that I have certain stuff that I only use when I go to Ghana, so some items remain in the luggage between trips.

As always, I bought way too much stuff in the $1 travel item aisle at Wal-Mart and Target. That stuff gets me every time!

I wasn't able to get nearly all of the donations I had been collecting to bring over. Priorities changed a bit with the things that were stolen at Eban House so quite a bit of my luggage weight was taken with replacement items rather than fun stuff like flip flops and stuffed animals. I'll be paying the "overweight bag" charge for each bag as is. That's kind of par for the course though.

I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow morning. Do you think that's wise? Getting your hair cut 6 hours before you go to the airport? Probably not. But it will be better than going to Ghana with the ragamuffin hair I've got going on now. When I to go Ghana it must be SHORT or it drives me crazy. I know..big fat ladies with very short hair just don't usually look good, but at least I will FEEL better!

I keep trying to plan in my mind what this trip will be like. I've given up. It's useless. There are too many unknowns. First priority (after I hug "my" kids and staff) will be to restructure the aunties work schedules so that they can choose to work night or day, and hirer new aunties for night (since I doubt there will be may takers from our original staff).

Muna MUST get some rest, which she can't do until we have night staff again. She has lived at Eban House since 4am on Monday morning, trying to do her normal work during the day and then feeding, bathing, and caring for 32 children all night. No "off the clock" for her for 5 days, which isn't fair. She sounds exhausted.

I'm trying to focus on the fact that there will be a lot of JOY in this trip as well. Ghana is synonymous with joy to me. I know there will be good memories to be made. I'm excited to see my Ghanaian family again. I'm also so excited to see at least two of the adoptive parents that I've gotten to know well over the last many months during the process. We 3 (or 4) obrunis will have a great time together--I know!

Anita

5 comments:

Chalene 11:56 PM  

Anita-
I want to wish you a wonderful trip back to Ghana. They really need you there and I am so glad you are going earlier. Amy will be glad also to have you there. Remember to let God guide you and He will get things up and going again. I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of you.
Sending Hugs with you to Ghana!
Chalene

Laurel 1:45 AM  

Praying for you and for the children and Aunties. I can't imagine how difficult this week has been for all of you (I was out of town, and didn't read any blogs until late last night.)

Prayers and Blessings for your travels!

Laurel :)

Spike N Tuna Jones 5:37 PM  

Anita.. found your blog from someone who asked for prayer for Esther... I appreciate reading the updates. God's speed as you go.

Josiane 8:25 AM  

Hello Anita,
I want to wish you a smooth and beautiful trip to Ghana. I'm sorry about the awful things that happened at the Eban House.

Forgive my curiosity. I was wondering what is you role in Ghana. Are you attached to an adotpion agency? Or perhaps and aid group? Or are you a volunteer?

My husband and I are thinking about adopting from Ghana. The Quebec-based agency we are talking with (in Canada) works with the Osu Children's Home in Accra. Do you know much about it?

Sending my love with you to Ghana.

Josie.

whenpigsfly 7:58 PM  

Dear friend,
You are in my prayers almost constantly this week!! Trusting God to show Himself in ways never imagined as He leads you !We continue to pray for Esther, and the safety and security of Eban House as well!
Can't wait to hear from you!!!!
Linda