Friday, January 15, 2010

Thankful Tonight

It's been sort of a hard week to blog. It seems that anything I write will be trivial and insignificant compared to the devastation in Haiti. I've got friends who are incredibly close to the situation. Please know I am praying for you and your loved ones.

In the wake of what has happened this week I can't help but feel incredibly thankful for all that I have. Clean water. Food. Even if I had no money SOMEONE here would help me get food because there is food hear. Plenty of food. I have electricity. There is no shortage of fuel. We could talk for days about the availability of medical care.

Tonight, as a family, we did things that tons of US families do each weekend. We went to Target to buy milk and get medication. We splurged and went to Chile's to eat (with a gift certificate from Christmas). Then we went to gas up the car. Finally we rented a movie. All such "normal" things to us--that would be extraordinary for anybody living in Haiti (even before this catastrophe).

Somehow, life seems more precious tonight. ESPECIALLY the "normal" stuff.

2 comments:

Kait 10:46 PM  

Amen to that. Just knowing that I have a (reasonably) clean, safe home to be in that has well stocked cupboards is amazing. This tragedy has brought me back to Earth and reminded me that I don't NEED a new purse or new shoes, I don't NEED to move to a bigger house, I don't NEED for anything. All of my needs and most of my wants are met a million times over.

Being grateful for what you have? Priceless.

whenpigsfly 9:11 PM  

As I was prayign over what music God would have me lead for PRaise and Worship at church for Sunday, I was introduced to a song called DESERY SONG by Brooke Fraser/ Hillsong. What a n awesome song...'this is my song in the desert........" "in the fire" "In the battle" and "in the harvest" pretty much sums up our lives doesn't it? The last line of the song sums it all up with "I know I'm filled to be emptied again
The seed I've received I will sow"
As I was learning the song, the earthquake hit Haiti. My prayers were that MORE THAN EVER BEFORE all that I have come through can be put to use in praying, encouraging, exhorting, giving, doing whatever is needed for Haiti and for anyone else God puts on my heart...."filled to be emptied again... the seed I've received I WILL sow" We , I, have so much to be thankful for, and truly nothing worthy of complaining over, not in light of Eternity!
Thanks for your post Anita!