Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Perception

It never ceases to amaze me how one person's perception of an event can be so different from another person's perception.


With my kids I see it often. "Mom, she hit me!" "No I didn't mom! I barely touched her--just gave her a little tap to say 'What's Up.'"


I see it in my line of work often. A Ghanaian and an American having a conversation--the Ghanaian has one idea of what the conversation was about (and how it went) and the American has a totally different perception of what the conversation was about (and how it went).


I see it in my marriage. My hubby and I went shopping for a chair the other day. A chair! His perception of "comfortable" and mine were totally different (even though we're pretty similar in height).


A few days ago I posted a link to my favorite Ghanaian photographer's blog. Nana Kofi Acquah took photos of the "Chale Wote Art Festival" in Jamestown, Accra, Ghana. His photos are stunning (to me). He captured art, and life, and color, and culture. You can see those pictures HERE.


Yesterday I read another Ghana blog--this time from an expat that has lived in Ghana for quite a while. I always enjoy her thought-provoking words, even if I don't always agree with them. Holli also went to the Chale Wote Art Festival, and had a TOTALLY different perception from Kofi! To her, nothing much was happening. There was little art. There wasn't much to see. It was a waste of time. You can read about Holli's experience at Chale Wote HERE.


My first trip to Ghana as an adoption coordinator, I visited Jamestown. It is known for being one of the poorest areas in the city--on par with Chorkor (for those that know Chorkor). I was there to visit a child/family who was in need of assistance. I don't know.... I SEE the poverty. I SMELL the open sewer. I'm not blind to what's all around me, but I also tend to come away with pretty rosy impressions of each area of Ghana I visit. There is beauty to me, even in the rubble. I may have gone to Chale Wote and had an experience similar to Holli's--not finding the grand festival it was advertised to be. But I hope I also would have been like Kofi--finding beauty and art, even without "greatness."

Love,
Anita

3 comments:

Laurel 2:18 PM  

Great post!

Had to laugh at the different children's perspectives of "issues" they have. Oh my! I see that every day.

Hubby and I have been married for almost 29 years, and it took quite awhile to find a bed that we both find "comfortable".

I, too, have seen BEAUTY on both of my trips (7 weeks total) to Ghana. I am not blind to the poverty, but I see BEAUTY in the people who rise above it ... I see BEAUTY in the artwork and craft work ... I see BEAUTY at the waterfalls ... I see BEAUTY on the Canopy Walk.

Hope your week is BLESSED!

Laurel :)

Robin Dodd Photography 3:53 PM  

I personally love her work : )

A. Gillispie 8:00 PM  

Robin, you love "her" work? Are you talking about Nana Kofi? If so, he's a guy! LOL! But yeah...totally love him.