Monday, November 04, 2013

Blessed Each Day: Friends, Old and New

"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing."
Thessalonians 5:11

I suppose this is a cliché blessing, but to say friends are a blessing doesn't feel so cliché when you're going through a difficult season in your life.  Since Eric was laid off, not a day has gone by that I haven't received some sort of encouraging word from my friends.
 
When I posted about Eric losing his job, the outpouring of love and encouragement both here and on facebook was amazing.  My mom, who has been leery in the past about how "real" internet friendships can be, was convinced when she saw the comments! =-)  The fact is, friendship is about heart connections.  Face to face contact is wonderful, but not absolutely essential.  Over the years, one can get to know another through words written online, or spoken on the phone.  Through technology, old friends have become new again, and new friendships have been born.
 
So thank you, my friends, for being my friends.  Thank you for your advice.  Thank you for your generous gifts to help us get through this time.  Thank you for your notes, that mean so much.  I count myself truly blessed to have you in my life.
 
Oil and perfume make the heart glad, and the sweetness of a friend comes from his earnest counsel. Proverbs 27:9

2 comments:

Erika 8:40 AM  

I have a circle of friends I met 10 years ago... we were all trying to get pregnant and TEN YEARS LATER, most of the original group is in tact. We span both coasts and 3 countries. I've met four of them in person. We've stayed in each other's homes and our kids have played together. One gave me a wedding dress to wear when I got married last year. I've learned that if you're willing to put into a friendship, it will blossom, regardless of where or how it was planted. :)

On the flip side, it's nice to keep in touch with an old friend as well... regardless of how long its been since I've seen you. ;)

Erika 8:47 AM  

correction: *I have a circle of friends I met ONLINE 10 years ago...

:)