Sunday, April 26, 2015

My Two Erics

In August 2006 during my very first trip to Ghana I met a guy who made and sold drums at the Art and Culture Centre.  This "Rasta Guy" who sold quality drums and shared my husband's name was quite a character from the first meeting.  His shop (at the time) was called "No Food for Lazy Man" (to this day my favorite Ghanaian saying)!  Over the years I brought each new family I traveled with to my friend Eric at the Art Centre to buy their drums.  We became friends, and eventually joked that he was my "Ghana husband" or "Ghana Eric."  We email sometimes and I ALWAYS make time to visit him when I'm here.

You can imagine then how fun it was to finally have "my two Erics" together at last! LOL!  Oh, Rasta Eric has talked about meeting America Eric for several years now, but I didn't know if it would ever happen.  I wrote to tell Rasta Eric we were coming, but he hadn't gotten word by the time we arrived. 

Several folks at the Art Centre now know me by name, and they know that Rasta Eric is my special friend.  So when we drove up they ran to go find him.  Within a few minutes he came up with the biggest smile and huge hugs for both of us! 

It sounds like a silly thing.  And maybe it is.  But it gave my heart real joy to see these two guys playing drums together; having a drink together; and taking a pic with me!

OH!  Did I mention that both Erics are 43 and born a month apart, on the 7th of the month?!  Strange but true!


1 comments:

Laurel 4:10 PM  

I am so glad that you are finally able to share "your" Ghana world with your dear husband. What fun to be able to introduce both of "your Erics" to each other!

I hope your trip is truly BLESSED!