Saturday, February 03, 2007

It's My Birthday and...

I'll cry if I want to! Well, luckily I don't want to. =-) I'm 31 today.

Today marks one year since we began the adoption process to bring two children home from Africa. First it was Liberia and we thought for sure we'd have kids home by summer 2006. Then we switched to Ghana and thought for sure we'd have kids home by Christmas 2006. Now we're with Ghana and Ethiopia and hope that maybe in the coming year we can get one of our two kids home, with the last child coming home in early 2008 (by my birthday???).

Wow. One year. It's funny. When we were going through lots of pretty hairy medical stuff with Samren people would always say, "I don't know how you do it!" It always struck us as funny because what else were we going to do? Life goes on, and we even had a good life during what seemed like it would have been an extremely difficult time. In the same vein, I used to look at parents who had long adoption journeys with such awe...."I could NEVER do that!" I would say. It's weird to be entering into the realm of those same parents that I stood in awe of for their long adoption processes. And you know what? I get it now. What else are you gonna do? Give up? Not an option. And life does go on, with lots of fun and good mixed in with the long wait. God gives each of us the strength to get through whatever it is He has in store for us, with the purpose of building us up, not tearing us down. I suppose I should feel special, that God knew I was strong enough (with His help) to get through Samren's yucky medical stuff, and this way too long adoptoin process. =-)

So. One year down--probably another year to go before both of our babes are home. So be it. I will try to have a happy brithday anyway. =-)

Love,
Anita

6 comments:

Anonymous 10:27 AM  

Happy Birthday Anita!!
My birthday is in February, too...Coming up in a couple of weeks. I hope that you are able to do something special for your birthday today! And I certainly hope that both of your babies will be home before your next birthday!

Anonymous 12:29 PM  

Happy Happy Birthday!!! I'm sure both the babes will be home by your next birthday! Make it a great one!

Anonymous 1:42 PM  

Happy Birthday!! February is a great month for birthdays--mine is the 21st!

Mrs. Broccoli Guy 5:16 PM  

Happy Birthday. I was always annoyed by the "I don't know how you do it" comments... like you say, what else could I do? I think God gives us what our faith can handle... as our faith grows, so do our challenges, but it's all to build our character and draw us closer to him, and isn't that what it's all about anyway? Sorry, sort of hijacking your comments just to say I agree with you!
And I hope you have a happy birthday and I hope this is a VERY GOOD year for you. :-)

Jenn 8:32 PM  

happy birthday! such a great post. i am in the place you used to be... standing in awe of you for enduring with grace your long adoption journey. may the next year bring joy unspeakable. :-)

Kaitlyn 10:42 PM  

Happy Birthday! I couldn't have said it any better than you did in this post. These are our kids. What else would we do?! And indeed, the world does keep spinning and God is still sovereign over all of it and birthdays still come and go. :)I'm still bummed that it took me so long to find your blog!
Heather