Friday, May 25, 2007

Taking a Sick Day

Hello from Ghana. Today was a bit of a sick day. I don't talk about this much because it's not a severe case, but I have chronic fatique/fibromialgia. At home it usually doesn't get to me because I'm blessed to have a schedule that allows me to get enough sleep (more than the average person). As long as I get enough sleep I usually do fine. But the last few days in Ghana were very exhausting emotionally and physically, and came with late nights and early mornings.

This morning I woke up determined to go first thing to Hands of Mercy and then visit my friend Romana in East Legon. But by the time I had showered and eaten breakfast I knew it wasn't going to happen. My body just rebeled today. I was sick at my stomach, every part of my body ached, and truly couldn't focus well. So I called Romana and Paul and let them know I wasn't feeling well. Then I went back to bed and slept until 3pm! Since three I've made myself stay awake but I feel pretty out of it. I'm going to bed after I complete this email and am absolutely determined to get up and get out tomorrow morning bright and early. I missed my baby very much today (when I wasn't sleeping). I think now that I had a day to recoup I should be okay for the rest of the trip. I don't anticipate having such difficult days from here on out.

Eric and I talked at length about everything last night and it has been decided that I will stay for a third week here in hopes of picking up Bright's visa on June 8th. I have mixed emotions. It's not that I don't want to be here. I just wish the rest of my family were here too. I'm so thankful for my sweet husband. He is always strong when I need him to be. It's going to be hard on him for me to be gone another week but he believes that's what's best so we're doing it.

Our ninth anniversary is next week on the 30th. Seems like I know a lot of people who missed their wedding anniversary because one of the couple was traveling for an adoption trip! Eric told me today that we'll go to Vegas for our 10th anniversary. :-) I've never been. All of my air miles from three trips to Ghana should pay for our tickets, and his parents have offered to let us stay in their timeshare there! So we'll just need money for a bit of fun and food!! Yea! We've never done anything for our anniversary and I think it will be a fun time. Trustfully Eric will have had his transplant by then.

Interesting tidbit for the day.... When you watch western movies here in Ghana they bleep out the word God everytime someone says "Oh my ___!" But they keep in all of the other cuss words except for F___. At the same time, saying "Jesus Christ!" in an exclaimatory way is not at all looked down upon here. Christians say it all of the time. That one is one of the most vulgar ones to me personally when I am at home so it has taken a bit of getting used to hearing good Christian people say that all of the time with no embarressment! I guess they can be embarressed for me when I cry in public and I will be embarressed for them when they say J__ C___!

Goodnight all,
Anita

2 comments:

Grosso Family 5:33 PM  

Anita - I'm sorry you need to stay another week - but do you really think you'd sleep once home without Bright? Bless Eric - he seems to be so supportive of you! You will have a great 10th anniversary. Vegas Smegas :-) not my bag, but hey - you have to see it at least once!
You should come to San Francisco for a weekend if you are going to vegas baby :-)

The Haiti Lady 9:06 PM  

Oh my gosh.,..I have FMS as well. We should talk!
Hope you are home from Ghana with your babe soon!
LeAnne