Sunday, March 23, 2008

Thank You

Hi friends,

Eric and I would like to thank you heartily for all of the prayers, kind words, and offers of support. It really did lift our spirits to see that so many people care about our family. I have received many private emails. If I don't respond it's not because I don't care--it's just that it's painful to respond over and over again about all of this (kind of like when you're waiting to travel for a child and have no news but people that love you ask you ever 6 hours if you know when you're going to travel!).

If you've written to inquire about how to see if you are a match, please know that your message is incredibly humbling and because we don't want to put anybody on the spot, replying is difficult. You have no idea how humbled we are that anybody outside of our family would consider such a sacrifice. I will be calling the transplant unit on Monday to make sure I have my facts straight, and then I will post information here, in case anybody feels led to check into it.

There are many conditions that will automatically exclude a person from being considered a donor candidate. If you get through that stage (an initial phone call) there are tons of other things that can exclude you along the way. I don't know the quickest a person can get through it all, but it took Eric's dad about 6 months to get to the point we were at (the next step was setting a date for the surgery).

Being the donor is actually more painful than being the recipient. Although the donor is out of the hospital more quickly, the donor's pain recovery time is longer than the recipient's.

I will post a number for anybody that is interested to call. But I want you to know that everything is very anonymous. We won't be told who calls (they might tell us that someone is going through the process). We won't be told if you get to the point of being matched with Eric and then decide not to do it. It is completely personal and private, in order to protect potential donors. So you don't have to worry about disappointing Eric and I if you choose NOT to call (or change your mind once in the process), or getting our hopes up if you DO call. You can share what you wish. We wouldn't ever know your name unless you wanted us to.

The greatest gift we can receive right now is prayer, and we know that many are giving that gift right now. Thank you.

Anita

1 comments:

NYC Lorna 12:46 PM  

I am so sorry to hear about your husband's health issues.
I have read your blog for several months; your children are beautiful.

You are in my prayers,
a stranger in New York City