Friday, July 04, 2008

Awesome 4th!

I hope everybody had a fabulous Independence Day. In the past 10 years of our marriage we have almost always gone an hour away to our sister's house and then headed home before the fireworks. This year, with our spiffy new floors and really fun (really big splurge, the Wii), we decided t host Eric's family. I really struggle with entertaining. It's just not my forte. I stress TOO bad about having people in my house. But today was just awesome. I am so glad we hosted and actually look forward to doing it again soon.

Everybody arrived around 2pm and Eric made wonderful BBQ chicken for us to enjoy (along with all the fixings). Grandma made her famous chocolate chip cookies and we also bought Drumstick Ice Cream Cones as a special treat.

After dinner we headed over to our awesome neighbor's house to enjoy their pool. They weren't home and gave us permission to use the pool while they were away. How cool is that? We are very blessed by our neighbors in a variety of ways. The kids had a blast swimming. Bright is such a fish! Samren is always fearless. And for the first time Taevy learned today that she could go under water and not drown. I am so proud of her! [She really struggles with swimming stuff.]

After swimming the kids decided to design clothes with a dress model and material that my mom gave Taevy for Christmas, while the adults played the Wii! We played bowling, baseball, darts, and shuffleboard. I'm not really a video game person, but the Wii is so not like a video game. It is a very social game machine that we are really enjoying as a family.

After we adults played the Wii for a while we handed it over to the kids and the adults went to play cards. Cards is our major pass time in Eric's family. We usually play Hand and Foot Canasta.

The card game was over in perfect time to go outside and enjoy several fireworks displays going on in the neighborhood. I didn't expect to be so entertained but we saw some pretty good shows!

This was the best 4th I can remember in ages. Something about it was just...awesome. I love my family.

Anita

7 comments:

Instantly Mama 10:04 PM  

I always stress about having people over too. I really hate that about myself! I'm trying to learn to relax a little more and remember that if my house isn't perfect it really doesn't matter. The important thing is spending time together!

Glad you had such a fun day!

Jen 1:38 AM  

How fun! The Wii is good fun and some great exercise- especially boxing!!

Our family plays cards also- I will have to look up the game you play as I have not heard of it. We play Euchre!

Enjoy your weekend,
Jennine

Amy 6:27 PM  

What a precious photo of your sweet three! I'm glad you ended up having such a great time with the family. :)

Fabu

Kristin 12:24 AM  

Hand and Foot is a favorite on Daron's side of the family and we play it at every holiday we are together. Sounds like you had a blast this weekend!

Holly 6:29 PM  

Anita,
Did the waiting girl you posted about a few posts ago find her family yet?
Oh my goodness that post was so heartfelt!
We are only approved for a child up to age 9 b/c we have bio.kids who are 10 and 13 and we are not allowed to adopt out of their birth order. Our youngest is 2.5 (adopted). We are open to HIV, Hep B and C and probably other things as well so when I read the post I just cried... we will love her but we cannot adopt her. I trust that she WILL find her family... have THEY found HER yet?
Please let me know... I will keep praying until I hear.
Holly

A. Gillispie 6:37 PM  

Hi Holly,

No, her family hasn't found her yet. I am going to get to meet E in person next month and cannot wait. I am in the same position as you--we could not adopt her although I would love her dearly, because you have to be 21 years older than the child you want to adopt when adopting from Ghana. I did find out that E is NOT going blind (YEA!!!). That is another little girl (10 years)--which is very sad, but at least it's not E with everything else that has happened to her in her life.
I just want to encourage you that even if you can't adopt E, there are so many children with her disease that need to be loved and cared for--plenty of kids under 9. =-)
Anita

Unknown 10:31 PM  

Hello! I just saw the link to your blog and I have enjoyed reading through all of your posts. I would read your posts whenever I could when I was on break at work! I couldn't wait to read more of your blog!
Thank you so much for sharing your opinions and stories.
I admire your strong faith and family values. You have a beautiful family.
I am a Korean adoptee and I enjoy reading people's thoughts, views and stories from the adoption community.
Thank you again.
Christine