Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Heading to Ghana

Hi all,

Sorry again to be absent. It has been a very difficult couple of days. Our children's home in Ghana was attacked Sunday night/ Monday morning. We were robbed and one of our staff members was brutally raped multiple times. We lost material possessions (computers, money, camera) but what our Auntie Esther lost can never be replaced. The innocence our children lost can never be replaced.

My staff is in absolute crisis mode right now--just trying to stay afloat. We have nobody willing to work nights so our senior staff members are basically living at Eban House until people feel safe(r) again.

I need to get there. I need to get there ASAP. I'm in the process of changing my tickets so that I will leave for Ghana on this Saturday, July 26th. Problem is that my passport is currently at an embassy in Washington D.C. getting a travel visa that I no longer need (I'll be spending all of my time in Ghana). I'm trying to get that OUT so that I can get my passport and leave.

Please pray for our staff and children. Oh how they need our prayers. And we know that prayers are not "the last thing you can do." It should be the FIRST thing we do! We should never question that prayers are powerful and needed, and not a "I can't do anything else" sort of thing.

Especially pray for Esther, who has two children (one still breastfeeding) and will probably lose her husband over this (cultural in Ghana). Her life will never be the same. A fund has been set up to assist Esther. It is at www.adoptionadvocates.org, on the "donate" page. Likewise, if you feel lead to donate to help us recoup our material losses, you can donate on the website.

I really feel that Ghana adoptions in general and Eban House in specific are being attacked by the evil one right now. We must be doing something right to come up against so many evil forces (this robbery is just the latest issue to come up). There are many things for me to work on while I'm in Ghana. I shouldn't say that. There are many things for the LORD to work on, through me if that is His will, while I'm in Ghana.

Yesterday two of our adoptive dads quoted Deuteronomy to me. And this morning my daily verse in Hebrews was straight from the Lord as well. I'll leave you with those encouragements.

So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:6

Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Deut. 31:6

And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed. Deut. 31:8

12 comments:

Stacey 10:03 AM  

Lord come quickly! I really don't know what to say but wanted to let you know I will be praying for the Eban house family.

Erica 10:21 AM  

May the God of all comfort go before you and heal these wounds. Praying for you as you travel, praying everything comes through with your passport.

Megan at My Heart, My Home 10:29 AM  

Anita, found out about this crisis through Renee's blog. I am so sorry to hear about the attack that occurred a few days ago. Praying that God will bring much comfort to you as you work with the children and staff. Praying that the Lord would bind Satan from Eban house. As Christians, we are all in this together!

Unknown 12:15 PM  

, I am so very sorry to hear this....

I will be praying for Esther...

Mary

Mia's Mommy 12:46 PM  

I will be praying. For the home, staff, children, and for you too.

Nicole - Raising Animals 1:03 PM  

Oh Anita! My heart goes out to the house-staff and children in Eban House!! Please keep us all updated and let us know how things progress!!!

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) 1:27 PM  

My heart is just breaking for the children, the aunties and especially for dear Esther. You will all be in our hearts and prayers.

God Bless,
Jane

Chandra 5:56 PM  

My heart goes out to Esther and the other workers and children. I am so sorry this happened and I hope you are able to achieve some good while you are there. Have a safe trip

Jenny 6:14 PM  

You, the children and Aunties of Eban House, and all your workers are in my prayers. Reading about this tragedy in my cousin's blog and then yours literally made me nauseous. Yes, you are doing something right in a really big way to have suffered such an evil attack as this. I pray strength and boldness for you that you can continue God's work even through this tragedy. And I pray comfort, Devine protection and the peace of God for the victims. In Christ,
Jenny

Angela 8:19 PM  

We will certainly pray for all of you and with all of you. What a terrible tragedy and unspeakably so for Esther.

One favorite verse that I keep above my computer is this:

"You come against me with sword and spear, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel...all those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the Lord saves, for the battle is the Lord's." 1 Sam 17:45

Jena 8:15 PM  

Anita-
Words cannot express my heart.
I will be praying for your safety, for the peace of God to rule and reign.
Someone gave me this quote recently:
"On a personal level, we can be assured that whatever happens to us however nighmarish they may be, God is at work to turn the situation to our advantage(Rom 8:28). Among other thigs He wisely uses suffering to build character and strengthen our reliance on Him. While we need not assume that there is a divine purpose leading to our suffering, we can an must trus that there is a divine purpose that follows from it. Hence our suffering is not meaningless."
from Is God to Blame by Gregory Boyd.
I will be praying for beauty from these ashes.

Mrs. Broccoli Guy 6:59 PM  

What a horrid, horrid thing. I am so sorry, especially for Esther, but also for all those victimized in the attack/robbery. May God bring healing and comfort and showers of blessings to all at Eban house.