Thursday, August 14, 2008

Home is Better than First Class

It's good to be home. It's good to be home. I don't have someone serving me assorted chocolates, or insuring that I get the best rest possible, but it's still better than first class. =-)

The last few days have been full of that hazy jet-laggy feeling that is always there for the first several days after I get home. I put milk in the cupboard and a can of soup in the fridge. I forget to take the right exit on the highway. I can't multi-task well so things like my son eating several Imodium Advanced tablets out of my carry-on occur. Yep.

So today I got to take Bright to the ER for the first time. I was on the phone with a client when I looked over and saw Bright chomping down on chalky white tablets. He got in my carry-on and I had stupidly bought a screw-top bottle of Imodium for the trip. I counted what I knew to be there and knew he couldn't have taken more than 4 of them. I called Poison Control optimistic that they would say "He'll be fine. Just don't expect him to poop for a while."

Nope. They told me to take him to the ER right away. He had taken "too much" to be safe. They called the ER ahead of time to let them know I was on my way. Joy.

The nice thing was, since he was a "poisoned child" we got right in and made record time at the ER. Bright had to drink charcoal (which was NOT fun) and then they had to observe him for an hour. He never acted anything but normal. I guess the risk with Imodium is that there is a certain drug, if overdosed, that works like a narcotic. Basically, he could've been stoned if we didn't get it out of him within the first two hours!

The big kids wore one of their new Ghana outfits to school today. Taevy's just looked like a typical dress but Samren's stood out a bit more. I guess he got quite a bit of positive attention at school because his shirt was so "cool!"

Anita

6 comments:

Heather 8:49 PM  

Oh my gosh Anita! What a yucky experience. I'm so glad that Brights ok! But it is neat to know that if you have a poisened child you get VIP treatment at the ER.

Amy 10:53 PM  

Wow- how scary! I'm sure glad Bright is doing all right... That wasn't exactly the welcome home you had probably envisioned. Zoiks!

Fabu

PJ Academy 10:53 AM  

The joys of Motherhood huh? So glad he is alright!!!!!

whenpigsfly 7:13 PM  

Praise God that Bright is OK after his taste testing excursion into your purse!!!
Glad you are home an dgetting re-seetled too. The kids' new school clothes are WODNERFUL!! I love Smaren's shirt!
Linda

Robin Dodd Photography 6:26 PM  

Oh Lord, this reminds me of the time when I babysat for my best friend while rehearsing a children's show and the 2 year old dove head first into a box of moth balls in the costume shop, was EATING them like cotton candy.... talk about POOP!!! Glad Bright's okay!

HollyAnn 2:16 PM  

Been there done that! :) Noah ate the berries to the Lantana bush! Charcoal isn't very yummy, huh?!