Saturday, August 16, 2008

Like Mother, Like Daughter

I got to see my mom last night. She spent a few hours with us before heading out to spend the weekend with a close friend who flew in from California. My mom and I don't look alike physically, except for our "weak" chins, but sometimes we are so in tune with our personalities and personal preferences that it is uncanny.


Yesterday before she got here we were talking on the phone. The signal got week and she couldn't hear me well. I said, "Let me call you back in 5 minutes." She didn't hear a word of what I sad, but immediately said, "Let me call you back in 5 minutes." Ha. Later that night we were telling Taevy she would want a school project she did when she was older. She said, "How old?" My mom and I both said in unison, "Maybe like 30." Later in the night we both said, "That's just...wacky!" We just looked at each other and smiled, each so interested in how we choose the same words over and over and over again. I love being even a little bit like my mom.

Today I was thinking about how special it makes me feel to be like my mom and I drifted to thoughts of Taevy. Will she have those same moments when we are both older....just two adults spending time together because we love each other? How much is "nature" and how much is "nurture?" Does she say things the same way her birth mother does? Or will she use the same words as me? Will she have "sympathy" headaches for me, like I do for my mom?

It's just something I think about sometimes. I hope that someday when she is a grown up woman, with babies of her own, we will look at each other and say "wacky" at the same time. ;-)

Anita

0 comments: