Saturday, November 15, 2008

Dinner Tonight--West African Style!

Tonight was my first attempt at making Ghanaian food. A friend shared a super easy recipe for "Red Red" that I just had to try. And of course Red Red goes with Fried Plantain. We served the Red Red over plain white rice. For dessert I stole a recipe I just saw on Kim G's blog for super easy Pumpkin Muffins. Here's the Scoop:
Cheater's Red Red:
1 can crushed tomato
1/2 large onion, or whole medium onion
Red pepper flakes to taste (I did about 1/2 teaspoon)
garlic or garlic powder to taste (I did about 1/2 teaspoon)
1/2 cup Red Palm Oil (I couldn't find it, but did find an "African Spice" oil that was macadamia nut, coconut, and red palm mixture, with chiles)
3 cans (rinsed) black-eyed peas
3 Maggi Shrimp cubes (or shrimp boulion, or dried shrimp)
1 packet tuma, smoked flavor (could also use canned tuna or dried/smoked fish)

Process:

HIGH HEAT
*heat 1/2 cup oil
*add onions and cook until translucent
*while onions are cooking add pepper and garlic
*after onions are translucent pour in can of crushed tomoatoes
*add tuna
*add shrimp boulion, maggi, or dried shrimp flakes
*simmer for 5 minutes
*add black-eyed peas
*lower heat and simmer another 15 minutes
*some beans will lose shape


Fried Plantains:
3-4 very ripe plantains (almost all black) will feed family of 5
*heat 1/2 cup of Red Palm Oil (or alternate if you cannot find red palm)
*peel plantains and cut diagonally
*add plantains to hot oil and fry until golden to dark brown on each side. It will NOT take long for these too cook. Be careful not to scorch.
*remove fried plantains onto paper towel lined plate, and dab excess oil off of peices.

Easy Pumpkin Muffins:
1 box white cake mix
1 can pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
cinnimon sugar

*Mix cake mix powder with can of pumpkin (no other ingrediants!). Pour into muffin tin and back at 350 for 20 minutes. For extra sweetness you can brush with butter and sprinke cinnimon sugar on top. Would also be good with pecans or maybe chocolate chips!

5 comments:

Bingaling 7:34 PM  

We just made this here tonight, too! The boys LOVED it!

I am so blessed to live near an international grocery store. I went there this morning and found a big jug of palm oil for under $5, maggi cubes, and some African pepper powder. Score!

I thought it turned out pretty well...I made it without fish this time, but Zack said next time he wants it with tilapia. The only problem is that I think my kitchen is going to smell like plantains frying for a while now.
Chanda

Heather 9:53 AM  

Oh my gosh, that looks so yummy Anita! And it LOOKS Ghanaian too! Bonus.

I don't think I have any hope of finding red palm oil here though. I can't even find shrimp bouillion. Such is life.

The pale observer 6:09 AM  

Red red is definitely one of Ghana's finest treats!!!!

heather 11:29 AM  

The pumpkin muffins sounds wonderful (and easy)!

heather 11:29 AM  

The pumpkin muffins sounds wonderful (and easy)!