Monday, February 08, 2010

It's Official

It's official. Kendi will be getting a mickey-button later this week. It's all happening so fast--which is GOOD for her. Kend's button will be placed by the same doctor that placed Samren's button six years ago (almost to the day!). We're going for a consult tomorrow and may have placement in the next day or two after that. It will require an overnight hospital stay. It's going to be a busy week, but better this week than next when Eric is back to work. If we can figure out the logistics for Thursday morning (Eric has three appointments that morning) we'll be good to go.



Our HIV nurse told us to call the doc today and to be sure to talk to HER (not a nurse, etc.). So I called and was insistent that I needed to talk to Dr. S. They just didn't quite understand why I couldn't talk to someone else. Dr. S. was out sick today so I couldn't talk to her. I figured it wasn't a big deal to wait for a day. But Nurse Nancy came to the rescue (during her week of vacation). What's funny is she told me the folks at the office were relieved that they wouldn't have to be talking me into a mickey button. Nope, not me. It was full speed ahead from there. We thought we might need to go to Ark for the placement but thankfully the Ped GI here made time in his schedule for Kendi (even though they are scheduling appointments in June right now). It may have helped a little bit that Nancy called them and that Samren was a former patient! ;0)


I guess that's it for today. No more nasty, bitter, traumatic medicines for Kendi! The button will come out when she can swallow pills (so maybe 6 months to 2 years from now).

Anita

3 comments:

Andrea 9:51 AM  

So glad you were able to make the decision and she will be getting it soon. Prayers for a quick and easy process!

From Diapers To Dorms 2:53 PM  

I am so thankful that this is moving along so quickly for all of you and that there is so much peace about your decision. I am sure that the Lord is leading you in the right direction. We are praying for all of you as always!
-Angela

Michelle 8:11 PM  

I am so happy for both you and Kendi. We will pray that the mickey button is as positive of an experience for her as it was for Samren. What a beautiful picture of her!!!