Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Kendi, just because...

During this time when we're making sure Kendi is night potty trained, she's sleeping on a big pillow at the foot of our bed, next to the dog. They crack me up down there. Half the time they are cuddled together all night!
The other day we had a g-tube mishap. Nothing was going in! We ended up putting in her emergency tube (plain Jane catheter-type tube) and then using a bobby pin to McGyver the mickey button into submission! She was a trooper laying on my lap while I pulled tubes in and out of her abdomen!

Taevy does "school" with the little ones all the time. Not play school--it's real deal "school" where they really do learn tons from their big sister! Anyway, the other day was "picture day." This is Kendi's picture. I told Taevy that, as a teacher, she needed to always make sure kiddies' faces are clean before the picture!


Just because I don't post enough about Kendi (ha!) here is a post just about her.
Kendi is every bit the three year old now. We hear "I do it!" all the time. She might just be a control freak like her mommy. At this point she likes to take control as much a possible where her g-tube is concerned. SHE wants to open the port. SHE wants to push down the liquid. SHE wants to disconnect the extension tube. Yes ma'am!
She's in that cute stage where she sings her ABC's like this: "A, B, C, D, A, B, C, D, A, B, C, D!" ;-) She starts counting at number 2 and stops at 5. She knows two colors--pink and purple. Everything is pink or purple regardless of whether it's really green or red or blue. Other colors just aren't up to her standard yet.
She surprises us with her English skills. We've decided that she knows a lot more than she's letting on, because she likes to act the part of the innocent! The other day she was "reading" a book backwards and upside down. I non-chalently said to her, "Kendi, you're reading it upside-down." knowing that she wouldn't "get" upside down. She looked at me and said, "Oh." Then she turned the book the right way without hesitation. Toot! Since then she's also revealed that she knows in and out, up and down, front and back, under and over. Smart cookie, this one. Not that most 3 year olds don't know those things, but because she's only been immersed in English for 9 months I didn't expect her to have the concept AND the vocabulary to show she knows it!

Generally, she's my baby. I admit it. She's my last baby and I find myself treating her like that. I just love cuddling her into the crook of my arms. I love that she will sit for hours on my lap while I play with her hair. I love it (I admit) that she is mommy's girl. She's just so darn cute and I'm in no hurry for her to grow up.

4 comments:

Deborah 10:02 PM  

I'm so happy that I got to hold that precious baby in my lap. She liked my brother more, but I held her when he went for a walk. Or was holding "E" and letting him crawl all over him. I'm so glad that she is part of my Ghana memories.

Love you!

Heather 5:42 PM  

Ok, can I just tell you . . . . I got a little thrill out of seeing Kendi on the floor with the dog. When Sophia has a tantrum, I usually put Mary on the (freshly cleaned) dog bed, but I always feel like such a bed parent. I'm soooo glad to know I'm not the only one with kids and dogs on the floor!

A. Gillispie 11:48 AM  

Oh girl, you actually CLEAN the dog bed first? Man! Mary gets the star treatment then! LOL! Actually, the two dog beds in my room are prime property to my kids. They fight over who gets to sleep on the dog bed instead of the wood floor (when we do sleepovers)!

Heather 9:44 PM  

Oh, that's AWESOME! And by "freshly cleaned" I mean I put a thin sheet over it to cover up the dirt and hair before I let her lay down!