Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Poor Kid!

This was Samren's face two days ago.
This is his face today.
And his arm.
Poor kid! We've got a confirmed case of Poison Sumac. The doc said it's a pretty severe case (the pics don't do it justice) so Sam gets to go on Prednisone for a week or so. It's in his ears, on his scalp, and down on his eyelids, not to mention his back, stomach, legs, and arms. He is getting quarter-sized pustules on some of the blisters!


The funny story behind it is that when we visited my parents' house the weekend before last, my mom showed us this "really pretty bush" that she had purposely not cut down when it appeared. Something sparked in my memory from my childhood and I said, "Mom, I think that might be Poison Sumac!" [My dad lived out in the country so we were taught which plants to stay away from.] I wasn't sure, but it was an inkling I had from my past. Mom wasn't convinced it was poison Sumac...until today. Step dad will be cutting down that pretty bush before we visit again! LOL!

6 comments:

Bingaling 6:42 PM  

Just so you know....I had a really bad case of poison ivy when I was a kid, too. Poison Ivy and Poison Sumac are in the same plant family. They are also in the same plant family as cashews, mangoes, and pistachios. I am now quite allergic to those foods as well. I wasn't allergic right away, but over time I reached my limit and when I turned about 19-20 I became very allergic to them.

You might want to keep that in mind...if he eats mangoes, pistachios, or cashews just watch him closely for a reaction. Mine started out with a poison ivy kind of rash on my lips and inside my mouth...and with more exposure I now have issues with my throat closing up if I eat those foods. So, even though I love them all I have to avoid them. Bummer.

Just thought I'd pass that on so you have it in the back of your mind for Samren. Hopefully he won't have the same problem, though!
Chanda

Cora 7:23 PM  

Oh poor kid I hope he feels better real quick.

A. Gillispie 10:57 PM  

Chanda, thanks for the heads up! Didn't know that! Right now Samren would not touch any of those foods with a 10 foot pole, but I'll keep that in mind!

I was super allergic to the poison plants when I was young. I would catch it just being down wind. Thankfully, like my dad before me, I seem to have outgrown the allergy rather than it becoming more severe!

Bingaling 8:34 AM  

You're lucky you outgrew yours. Mine has just gotten worse, unfortunately. When I was a kid I inhaled smoke from a brush fire (where poison ivy was being burned) and I got it EVERYWHERE. Ever since then, the allergy has gotten worse. Now I swear if I just see poison ivy I get it!
Chanda

Paige 10:38 AM  

You have no idea who I am, but I found your blog after looking at a series of other adoption blogs. You have truly inspired me to make a difference in the world. Your story in adoption all of your children is really touching. I can see from your posts that you are really passionate about this. I stumbled across this link and I was thinking that you could pass it on to other families to look at. http://thevintagepearl.blogspot.com/2010/08/hope-for-orphans.html

A. Gillispie 10:44 AM  

Well, I may have spoken too soon! I definitely am not AS allergic, but I woke up this morning with a rash on my chest. Uck.