Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Adoption Awareness Month: Got questions?

I want to try to write more to celebrate Adoption Awareness Month than I have in previous years. Some of my friends put a lot of time and effort in it and come up with GREAT resources for potential adoptive parents. I know I'm not going to have enough time to do that, but I figure some folks might think I, myself, might be a good resource. Well, hey there! I do love answering questions about adoption.

So, if you're out there, and you're reading this, and there is even a TINY interest in adoption, please send me your questions! I may not have the answer, but chances are I can direct you to somebody who does.

Adoption built my family. Adoption even secured my eternity (the Lord's adoption of me into His family). It's one of my greatest life passions, to share with others about adoption and lead them through the process. So ask away!

Here are the topics I know most about:

International Adoption
Ghana adoption
the "orphan"
Ghana, the culture
HIV adoption
adopting a child with unknown special needs
humanitarian aide

[If I don't get questions I'll have to come up with other ways to write about adoption this month, so can you help me out?!]

6 comments:

Sister Beta 12:25 PM  

I have a question and would love to hear what an adoption coordinator has to say about it. I have friends who are foster parents and they have gotten children with SEVERE RAD (reactive attachment disorder)...to the point of being suicidal (a 3 year old). This poor child had really, really intense problems and ended up being put in a psychiatric hospital. My friends did an amazing job with the girl, but it was so difficult for them! How do parents prepare for that possibility, since sometimes symptoms are very masked (at first) and what type of support is there once the child is theirs? I'm curious as to how that works in adoption as opposed to fostering through the State.

Emily 8:54 AM  

I'm curious about insurance and medical care...I work for a small company that does offer group health insurance but I would really like to NOT work fulltime if we adopted.

Does a group insurance plan have to cover the adopted child, no matter what their needs are? Are internationally adopted children eligible for state-sponsored insurance?

Thanks!

Nichole Foster 10:55 AM  

Emily I can answer your question about state insurance for internationally adopted children. I am Nichole Anitas sister and my daughter Mia is adopted from Guatemala and legally blind. She recieves Social Security for her disability as well as state insurance. Just make sure that she is readopted or a US citizen with a state BC however your state does it and she is offered all priviledges of Native born children

Kait 9:09 AM  

I have a question that is kind of related to adoption but kind of just related to your experiences.

My husband and I are in the process of adopting two little boys, one who is HIV+ and the other who has "possible vision issues".

I know your husband is considered legally blind. I don't think our son is, but honestly we don't know and won't until he's home. I was just hoping you could offer some assurance that someone with vision limitations can have a normal, full, lovely life.

Emily 5:02 PM  

Nichole, I had no idea you could do that. That's wonderful...thanks for answering that!!
Emily

A. Gillispie 8:39 PM  

Nichole, thanks for jumping in! Emily, sorry I was so slow!! All that I would add is that YES, a group insurance provider must cover your adopted child with no pre-existing conditions. Also, although our kids can qualify for state-funded health insurance, it cannot be part of your "plan" for health care. Part of the deal with immigration is that you have to qualify as a "sponsor" for your child. They want to make sure that the children will not become a "burden" to the state. However, the reality is that once they are home, if you need help, it's there.