Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Easy home-crafted gift idea

The "Jesus Gift," on left side of mantel.

The "Jesus Gift," next to praying Santa.

Have you seen these? I bought one at a craft fair several years ago. It is one of my favorite decorations because, in our house, we decided it would be "The Jesus Gift." For our family, we put it out as a reminder that the brightest gift EVER was Jesus, the Christ child. I've always liked the thought of putting it under the tree all lighted up, before the other gifts go under there, but we end up putting it in other places.


This year I was at Hobby Lobby (a craft store) and saw that they had glass blocks with a hole already drilled in them to place the lights. You just buy a 35 light string of Christmas lights (white strand looks best), stuff them in the drilled hole, and tie a pretty ribbon around the block as if it were a gift. Easy! Takes 5-10 minutes total! I think the materials cost less than $15.




We'll be giving these two our two most special neighbors, thanking them for being such a "gift" in our lives, along with the story about how we display one of these in our home as a reminder of Jesus, THE Gift.



1 comments:

Laurel 12:20 AM  

I LOVE it. I've seen them, but had no idea you could "make your own". Way cool!


Laurel