Thursday, January 27, 2011

Do-re-mi

Today was such a nice day with the kiddos. Well, it didn't start off so great but the afternoon made up for it.
Today was the kids' first day of Homeschool Choir. We have a GREAT and thriving program in our area. It's more than "just" choir. They really offer a music education to the children (complete with a list of musical concepts they are expected to learn at each level). As a former music teacher this is so cool to me!!!
The littles headed off to their pre-K choir first. So cute seeing a gaggle of preschoolers practicing their "stay in line" skills as they wobbled to their classroom. Their teacher is a precious music student who seems to be really excited about the job. The littles only had nice things to say about her, and Bright had fun practicing "Jesus Loves Me" tonight in front of the family (as Kendi danced along).
I'm just going to keep it real here. Taevy has been lonely for other girls her age. I haven't given her enough social outlets to fill her girly-girl heart. Last night she very seriously told me that she really felt like we should adopt again--an 8-9 year old girl. ;-) Not hard to read between the lines there! So you can imagine my delight when I see her lining up with 35 potential friends for choir, including several other Asian kids (at least one of which had a white mom)! The most brave Taevy got today was to ask one of the girls if she could sit by her, but that's progress. [She's super shy at first.]
I am not very good at getting out there and socializing with other homeschoolers. I don't really feel like I NEED more friends, so hanging out with other moms "just because" isn't my thing. BUT, the atmosphere today was cool. They do several choirs throughout the afternoon. They only charge tuition for the first 2 children. It was so refreshing to walk in the building and see lots of other "4 or more kid" families hanging out! Lots of the families have kids in several choirs so it ends up that the waiting room is more like social hour for all of the kids and moms waiting for their turn to go to choir. Super fun.
After choir we had 3 hours to kill before picking up Eric from work. Choir is on the opposite side of town from our house and close to Eric's work, so I didn't want to go back home. We headed to the Salvation Army store and looked at books for an hour. $5.00, and hour, and 5 new books later, we headed out. We were hungry. Unusually hungry. So I made an executive decision to head to Freddie's (frozen custard and steakburgers). Oh. My. Goodness. YUMMY!! We shared two burgers and a large fry between the 5 of us. That is the best burger I have ever eaten!!! For a super extra special treat I then splurged for some frozen custard. More than $5.00, an hour, and 5 full tummies later, we headed out. Dollar Tree, here we come! I was able to get the things I only buy at the dollar store (batteries, dog collar, and a handy-dandy peeler amongst other things). $20 and 30 minutes later we headed out. By this time it was 4:30 so I called and begged Eric to pretty please let us pick him up early. He granted the request. =-)
We are usually pretty big home-bodies. It was a nice afternoon out with the kids. Oh, and did I mention it was 65 degrees? Yeah. It was 65 degrees!!!!! I just love days like these.

2 comments:

Laurel 9:27 PM  

Sounds like a fun afternoon.

My children are in desperate need of some friends, after a tough year of family transitions. We are looking forward to baseball season.

Michelle 8:12 PM  

Sounds like you had a great day! We had 60 degree weather here too and the kids had a great time outside!
I am soooo ready for real spring and summer!