Thursday, April 28, 2011

Clarification on Christian Adoption Movement post....

Yikes! I popped out the last blog post in a big hurry and without a lot of organizational or editorial thoughts. [Like I said at the beginning, my brain just wasn't coming up with a snazzy and organized way to post my thoughts.] In my haste I'm afraid I stepped on toes I did NOT intend to step on!


Orphan's Ransom: There is a very fine organization called "Orphan's Ransom." They are doing really neat work, assisting families with adoption grants so that they can adopt. My post was not AT ALL about the *organization.* I was only speaking about the use of the word "ransom" when speaking of adoption. I do not personally think it is wise to use this word in that way, but that doesn't in any way negate the good work Orphan's Ransom (the organization) is doing.


147 Million: There is another awesome organization called 147 Million. When I wrote about how there are not actually 147 million adoptable children I was not in any way intending to put a bad vibe out there about the organization 147 Million OR using that number as an awareness tool. There are different numbers floating around, but 147 million orphans is one of the most accepted numbers out there. Orphans. Not adoptable orphans. There are 147 million orphans (or thereabouts) that need our love and care and attention--just not all through adoption. =-)


Finally, I want to touch on the "saving" thing (both saving souls and saving lives). I'm a Christian. [Duh.] I am commanded by my Christ to lead people to Him. Just like a Hindu or Muslim family, I'm going to raise up my children in my own faith. As a Christian it DOES cross my mind during the adoption process that my daughter comes from a tribe that is only 2% Christian and would have likely never known Christ without adoption. In fact, none of my children came from circumstances where there was more than a remote chance that they would have come to know Christ in their home countries. Do I see it as a benefit that I was able to adopt children that wouldn't have otherwise known Christ? Of course I do. Let's be real. Sure. =-)


When it comes to "saving" their lives. Yeah, that happened. But I didn't specifically set out to find a child who would have otherwise died without adoption. That's how God planned it, not me. I just wanted to be a mommy to a child who was in need of adoption. God worked out all of the life-saving part. It's just a double blessing that my kids needed me as much as I needed them.


My point is, OF COURSE Christians think about these things when they make a decision to adopt. But if someone is adopting to "save" soul or life but isn't' particularly interested in being a lifetime parent to very hurt children, they shouldn't adopt. At the core, it's about wanting to parent another child. If you don't have that the rest doesn't matter. [Thanks C for pointing that out.]


Love,

Anita

5 comments:

Mama D.'s Dozen 12:21 AM  

GREAT posts! I totally understood and agree with both of them.

:) :) :)

Chantelle 5:55 AM  

Thanks, Anita. :) Appreciate the clarification.

all our tomorrows 6:22 AM  

Anita
I agree with what you save about "saving a life" as simply a possible by-product of adopting a child who needs a Mommy because you want to be a Mommy. Well put.
My lament about this Christian adoption movement is from a little different perspective. It is a well known fact that many lesser developed countries devalue these very special kids. They cannot fathom WHY we Americans are willing to pay our life savings to go get them. They ahve their suspicions and some of those suspicions surround themes like "organ donations to save'our own kids" etc. The fact is, their society cannot understand why we see value in these kids.
Now, take this certain "Christian organization" that is enticing families..NOT EXPERIENCED families necessarily, to go into to these countries, big as day, and apply to adopt not one of these very special, devalued children..but maybe 2 or 3 or FOUR at one time. WHY? Because this organization has the "we will save 'em all from the clutches of death" mentality. Ok...so hooray for that top-of-the-totem-pole-mentality. But two things happen. They raise suspicion to an already hesitant mindset. They also set families up to fail..and when they do..they crucify the families as blatant failures and hide the disruptions that are happening at a rate so high that it is sickening. And if a judge sees this excessive activity and says "no deal", they flood the internet with flashing neon Biblical quotes saying "we have to save them all" and they get big bucks donated ...reap a great harvest off of the sensibility and prudence of one judge who says "what the heck is going on here?"
THIS is the very essence of the Christian superiority in adoption that is giving Christians like me and you a very bad reputation.
The reign of this holier-than-all-law, we have the answer to childrens' salvation without recourse for the failure and destruction attached, nor an ounce of consideration for cultural differences..well, it is wreaking havoc on the whole core value of adoption. Let's start there....

Rachel Goode 7:04 AM  

glad you clarified your earlier post... i was very confused! i agree that parents should sincerely desire to parent another child and not adopt out of begrudged duty -- but part of the JOY of Christian parenting is introducing our little ones to the Father who brought them to us. I don't even think it's wrong if our MOTIVATIONS in parenting are to further God's kindgom. I can't think of a sweeter motivation than one stemming from the Greatest Love ever known!

Jenni 3:55 PM  

Anita,

I agree that the word "ransom" or the 147 million figure can be taken out of context. I think it's great that so many Christians are aware of the orphan crisis and want to help, but I hope that they also know that adoption is ONE way to do it, not the ONLY way. We have friends praying for us, supporting us with time and resources when they know they are not going to adopt themselves. We also focus on organizations that work on family preservation projects, which I hope will make a difference in the long run. Since all of 147 million are not adoptable orphans, something must be done for them also.