Saturday, September 24, 2011

Life (and Death)

Yesterday wasn't what we expected it to be. We expected to enjoy the early autumn day with some outdoor stuff. We expected to eat dinner and play cards with Eric's parents. We didn't expect to get a call telling us that my brother-in-law had a horrible accident and was fighting for his life.


Not a car accident. Not an on-the-job accident. He fell down some stairs in the early morning hours. He fractured his skull.


Dan is a good guy. Amy, his wife, is my oldest (step) sister. I love all of my siblings and their mates, but Eric and I totally loved hanging out with Dan and Amy. They are so fun. Dan and Eric could sit and talk business and IT stuff for hours. On holidays we always looked forward to whatever Dan was going to bring for us.


Dan...being kept alive by machines. There is so much wrong with this picture. This isn't supposed to happen to OUR family. It's not supposed to happen to dads. It's not supposed to happen to thirty-four year old men. Except it did.


I spent yesterday sort of numb. Part of it was sadness for my sister and nieces. Part of it is sadness for losing Dan. But part of it is the randomness of it. Such a freak accident. And if it can happen to Dan, it could happen to Eric (my husband) or anybody else I love. We have no guarantees in life. I know this in my head, but I haven't felt the realness of that in a long time. It sucks.


My brother in law isn't going to recover in this life. But he is going to continue to give life to others. We are so thankful to Dan for becoming an organ donor. It was someone like Dan--struck by unexpected tragedy--that gave my husband Eric life through a new kidney. A sacrificial gift at a shocking, devastating time.


Dan is "going home" tonight. He will be healed and whole again soon. Please, life up my nieces (ages 16 and 14) in your prayers. I lost my dad at 18 and can't put into words the affect that can have on a young lady. Pray for my sister Amy. She is a strong and independent woman, but nobody expects to be a widow at 36 years old.


Love,

Anita

19 comments:

Anonymous 7:38 PM  

I have been reading your blog for some time and don't know if I've ever commented before. This post touched me because my sister and her husband were killed instantly in an automobile accident 2 years ago. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Wilma in West Virginia

Susan 8:46 PM  

Anita, I am so sorry to hear this! I am praying for you, and your sister and nieces. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Christy 9:12 PM  

Oh Anita...my heart breaks for your family! A friend of mine lost her husband, a professional firefighter, in EXACTLY the same way about 11 years ago. He fell down the stairs at home. Horrible. Your sister, her children and your entire family are being lifted in prayer! May the God of Comfort fill you all with the Peace that passes all understanding as you grieve & mourn this tragic loss. God bless you all.

Momto16 9:19 PM  

I am so sorry friend!! Prayers for everyone in you family. This is just so sad.
Hugs

Robin Dodd Photography 10:44 PM  

Oh Anita. There are no words here... will be praying for your family and your sister...I am so so sorry...we lost my nephew from a fall a year and a half ago and it still does not seem real. Praying for your sister. This breaks my heart.

Kait 12:15 AM  

Praying for your family Anita. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Cindy 3:44 AM  

I am so sorry Anita. We will be thinking of your while family.

Our Journey 4:13 AM  

I just (re) read Chapter 2 of Crazy Love the other day...it's so true! Our time here is not guaranteed. Praying for all of your family as you mourn the loss of Dan. Praising God that he is (will be) healed and whole with Jesus this morning!

all our tomorrows 9:01 AM  

Anita-
There are no words to express the extreme vulnerability and sorrow you must feel. I am praying for all of your family on my knees....
I don't know what to say...
This does touch each and every one of us in so many ways, on so many levels, the frailty of life---
Ellen

Amblin 1:55 PM  

I am so very sorry and will be keeping your sistern and her family in my prayers.

B 4:08 PM  

Oh, Anita. :( Condolences to your whole family.

Kelly L 7:02 PM  

Oh Anita...I'm so very sorry. We are praying for your family here in Atlanta. (((hugs)))

whenpigsfly 7:26 PM  

Anita, your family has been in my thoughts and prayers almost non-stop since I first heard about Dan's accident. We spent time praying for y'all this morning in church as well. What a wonderful legacy that he is an organ donor! May Dan's choice help inspire still others to make that same choice. We'll be praying for Amy and your nieces and all of you who will be missing this great guy! Hugs with love, Linda

CarrieT 11:34 PM  

Oh, I am so, so sorry. Will be lifting up your family in my prayers.

Carrie T.

Anonymous 7:19 AM  

What a horrible tragedy. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Praying for your sister and their children.

Claire 7:53 PM  

I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for your family.

Dozen Senses 7:47 PM  

-so, so sorry to hear. How painful. I wish there was something I could do to help.

Ericka 5:47 AM  

Oh Anita. Sending you and your family hugs and lots and lots of prayers.

Anonymous 1:22 AM  

It was a helpful experience for me to find this webpage. It definitely stretches the limits with the mind when you find very nice information and make an effort to interpret it rightly. I am going to browse this web site regularly on my PC. Thanks for sharing