Saturday, October 01, 2011

Waiting for Mommy and Daddy

It's time to highlight some waiting kiddos! Let me tell you, EVERY child on "my list" is important to me, but there is something that feels even more urgent when there are special needs kiddos on my list. These kiddos do not have a good chance at long and fruitful lives in Ghana. But in the USA? Here, they could receive therapies and assistance that could allow them to live long, happy, and active lives! They just need someone who can take a "chance" on them. No, we don't have all of the answers about everything their special needs entail. We won't, as long as they are in Ghana. The resources just aren't there. WHO will see one of these children and KNOW that they are called to step out in faith to adopt them? WHO is ready to love them forever, no matter what their future potential is? I know you are out there. I feel stymied by my inability to spread the word farther, but I believe somehow, these children will find their families.


These kiddos are at a large government orphanage. We have only just begun to work with this orphanage, but so far things are going very well. The care is less than ideal, but once a family is through court we may be able to place the children in private foster care. For all of these children, family size and age requirements have been waived, and some fees have been reduced.


K & K are 2 and 4 year old brothers that can be adopted together, or separately. They have very low muscle tone (hypotonia). They do not yet walk or talk, but they are incredibly expressive! They make great eye contact and have amazingly beautiful smiles! When I met these little guys my impression was that with the right interventions they could go very far.


A is a baby girl, less than one year old. She is absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, she is not developing on schedule and her head appears to be smaller than normal. She may be micro cephalic, but no formal diagnosis has been made. When I met A in June she was very much like a newborn, doing all of those wonderfully cute newborn things! Currently, we are doing everything we can to move A to a private foster family where she can receive more individualized care.


P is a VERY special 4-5 year old boy! Recently one of our families traveled to meet their daughter at the same orphanage. The mom was sure to tell me that "You *must* find a family for Paul next!" Paul has cerebral palsy, but that doesn't stop him from greeting visitors with much enthusiasm. He gives "high 5s" and the biggest brightest smiles you ever saw! He doesn't walk or talk yet, but with therapy in the U.S. he may progress beautifully.


M is an adorable 2-3 year old girl. She is currently in a very loving private foster care situation. In fact, her foster family has requested an "open adoption" with her new adoptive family! M has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy. She does not yet walk or talk, but with appropriate intervention she may make great strides.


These kiddos can be matched with families who have approved homestudies. If you have an approved homestudy and would like more information on one or more of these children (including photos) please email me at anita@adoptionadvocates.org. Families that don't yet have a homestudy cannot be matched with any of these children, but they would be free to apply in the hopes of adopting in the future.


Anita

P.S. Always remember that the only placing agency in Ghana is the Department of Social Welfare. All official matches are made by DSW. AAI and our partners assist families to navigate the process in Ghana and the U.S..

2 comments:

Kait 10:49 PM  

Oh Anita I wish I could express how much K and K still have our hearts. I hate to think of them waiting and am praying that they find a family SOON! I really wish we were in a position emotionally as a family to take them on right this second because I would love to bring them home.

Jenni 2:16 PM  

Anita, thanks for advocating for these children. I have worked with SN kids for many years and I know the potential to live a happy and productive life when they receive the medical care, therapies and most of all love of a family. If you can think of anything that these kids would need in Ghana, I could ask my PT and OT community for donations and take them with us next trip.