Sunday, January 08, 2012

Is being "radical" always best?

I read a very interesting blog post today. One of my FB friends linked to it. For the past several months I've had it on my heart to write about this "itch" I have. We haven't been in the adoption process for more than 2 years. And we don't plan on adding to our family (unless the Lord speaks VERY clearly). I am surrounded by wonderful people who are doing amazing things for The Kingdom. They are adopting. They are selling all of their possessions and moving to foreign lands to minister to the people there. They are doing other Kingdom work that is wonderful and RADICAL! It inspires me. It also makes me yearn for the somewhat addictive feeling of taking a big leap of faith.

Most people who have adopted several times say that adoption isn't addictive. Maybe I'm the exception, but I admit that for me, I could very easily get addicted! Addicted to mothering. Addicted to beautiful children in my home. Addicted to traveling to distant lands. But also addicted to the high that comes from doing something that is "radical." Maybe this would be my version of skydiving! If time and resources weren't an issue, I may want to keep adding and adding and adding to my family. This is something I can do that, while meeting my own desire to be a mom, is also making a difference in the lives of orphaned children. [Note: My husband does NOT share my feelings on this!]

This blog post I read today argues that maybe God isn't always calling us to be "radical" (at least not in the way that some Christians think). Maybe sometimes Christ is calling us simply to live in the mundane, to follow Him radically as we do laundry and make dinner? These are things I'm still pondering.

Click to read Jesus Doesn't Call Us to be Radical: How our addiction to the radical can cause us to miss Jesus in the mundane.




What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

Teri 9:48 PM  

404 error. My spirit said, NOOOO! as I really wanted to read the article.

Please try linking again? Thanks!

A. Gillispie 10:04 PM  

Sorry about that! It should be fixed now! =-)

Kait 3:35 AM  

I have to admit that as much as I wanted to disagree with that article, for the most part it did speak to the quiet part of my soul that really agrees with the sentiment.

I've not read the book she talks about and in general we aren't trying to live radically, just trying to follow what God has planned for us. But there is a part of me that wonders if part of our following is a desire to be radical. And a bigger part of me needed to hear that I can be obedient by being a good mom to the kids I have instead of wondering if there is another kid/kids out there that are supposed to be here.

It gave me a lot to ponder.

Teri 7:38 PM  

Thanks, Anita.

I read.

I was convicted.

::ahem::

:D

CarrieT 7:43 PM  

I agree that we shouldn't try to be radical just to be radical. Our goal is to do the Lord's will in our lives each day. Some days that may be something more radical and many times it is just serving your family with joy, smiling at the cashier in the store, babysitting for another mom friend, etc.

The tricky part for me is finding a balance when I read about/talk to, etc. other Christians. On the one hand iron sharpens iron and there are many things I can learn from others. I am often challenged by more "radical" testimonies I read/hear. That is a GOOD thing and challenges me to be in the Word, praying, asking the Lord "what do you want me to do today?"

On the other hand I may not be called to the same things as those people. And that is ok. It is ok if God wants me in this season of life to be wiping noses, potty training, etc. while someone else is selling everything and moving overseas. It is ok if our family adopts 4 children (or 2 or 1) and stops there even though another family adopts 10 children.

Anyone else find this balance hard? Being challenged/inspired by others w/o letting myself get jealous or feel guilty comparing my faith walk to theirs?

Carrie T. - mom to 4 from Korea

Mary Ellyn 7:38 PM  

It's your favorite Lutheran! One of the things that Lutherans teach is the doctrine of vocation. The post you linked to actually described it pretty.

To quote one of my favorite radio hosts, Pastor Todd Wilken:

"God shows you His will every day in a hundred ways. His will is right there under your nose. His will is as close as your spouse, your kids, your family, your friends and your co-workers. His will is right there, where you are and where they are."

(http://wittenbergmedia.org/audio/Locus_and_Focus.pdf)