Thursday, February 16, 2012

Ghana Go After All!

Wow. Just, WOW. I've said it many times, but I am saying again that I work with the best group of adoptive families in the world. I really believe it. It is my job (and my honor) to serve them, but the last few days they've turned the tables and have served me instead. They are raising the money to pay for my ticket to Ghana!

It's not just my AAI families. There are others. There's a family in our LifeGroup (aka Sunday School) that felt they are to give. And then my cousin, who I'm not in very regular contact with, called me out of the blue and felt strongly that she was supposed to give to help me get to Ghana. As it turns out, she just sold my Nanny and Papa's house (both long since passed). There wasn't much money from that deal, but she feels that she is supposed to give some of it to help with the expenses of my trip. How COOL is it that the Lord reaches so far into the hearts of others to provide?!

Humbled doesn't begin to described how I feel. There's almost some sort of shame in there, but I know that shame shouldn't be involved. It's just MORE than humbled, whatever this feeling is. I don't deserve this. But then again, the point of a blessing is that you don't DESERVE it. You don't give a gift because someone has earned it.

What I can say is, thank you. To those who gave, to those who have pledged to give, and to those who prayed for God to make His path clear, thank you. A handful of people have told me, "I knew something like that was going to happen!" and I just shook my head because I never fathomed it. I knew in my heart that God intended for me to go to Ghana soon, but I didn't have a clue how He was going to work it out.

Now, the rest of the story! I went to bed Tuesday night and had my good cry. I had a super big pity party. In fact, when I woke the next morning I really didn't want to face the day. I decided to make myself sleep as long as possible so I didn't have to face the day. I slept until 1pm. I knew that when I got up I'd have to start figuring out how to get to Ghana, and I didn't know how to go about doing that.

While I was busy feeling sorry for myself all kinds of stuff was happening! I mope down, eat some lunchfast, and open the computer. First "verse of the day" was...

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6"

Okay God. I'm trusting. Next verse was...

"Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door! Brothers, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy. James 5:7-11"

Okay Lord. Yep. Pretty clear message there. I will try to be patience. I will not grumpble. I will perservere and hope to be blessed. I will hope for your compassion and mercy.

THEN, I check my voice messages. There's a message from my office saying SW called and there's something about families buying my ticket. I need to call SW. About that time SW calls. About that time MV emails and says, "CALL SW!" So this is when I get the awesome and humbling news.

A good lesson for sure. I was being such a baby, feeling so sorry for myself. I sacrificed several hours I could have been working for others because I was not being patient. I was grumbling and pitiful! Yesterday, after I got the good news, I read the following on facebook:

"But we should praise God for disappointment because it drives us to our knees. Disappointment is like dream defibrillation. If we respond to it the right way, disappointment can actually restore our prayer rhythm and resurrect our dreams." (The Circle Maker, Mark Batterson)


Words to remember, for sure. I hope I've learned a lesson. I can already see a few other reasons that this was meant to happen this way. For now, it's time to pick up a kid from b-ball practice!

Love,

Anita

3 comments:

Laurel 11:48 PM  

When I read your last post, I totally thought, "She's going to find a way to go, soon."

Yea, God!


:) :) :)

mommajeane 7:58 AM  

I am not surprised...I believe those who honor God - He honors back...My sweet friend I too knew you would be going this time. You have His heart for orphans. You help so many on each side of the ocean...I am so glad you get to live your hearts desire .

CarrieT 8:41 AM  

Great news!! Keep us posted on when, etc.! God is good!

Carrie T.