Thursday, May 03, 2012

No Shame in My Game

I was recently talking to a mom who was considering the adoption of an HIV+ child.  I was talking about how we are totally open about Kendi's HIV.  She very politely inquired about how we decided to come out like that.  Hadn't we thought about how she might feel when she is older?  What if she is angry with us about sharing something so private?  For a second it really stumped me.  How HAD we come up with that decision.  It seemed like a lifetime ago.  HIV is so NOT an everyday topic around here.  Then I remembered.  DUH!  It's because we're raising her to believe that there's absolutely nothing to be quiet or secretive about.  When we talk to people about it we act as if THEY are totally not with it if they don't realize that HIV is a wimpy has-been virus that has very little power in the U.S. (with meds).  I smiled all they way through this video tonight.  I hope you do too.  Spread truth!!

3 comments:

The Richardson Family 4:10 PM  

Love this Anita! We are getting ready to "come out" to our church. We wont to start now and educate people before our children come home. Thanks for the encouragement!

Anonymous 7:02 PM  

This is such a hard issue for me. I appreciate your take on this and the care you've put into this decision.

My son has Hep B and we do not disclose this to many (mostly only to family). We decided early on that we are the guardians of his medical information until he is old enough to decide what to do with it. We're not ashamed of it, we just don't think it's anyone's business. I've explained it to my kids that some medical issues need to be shared (i.e. my older son's asthma, diabetes) so that people can help in an emergency. Other's not so much.

It's really hard where we live -- in an area with decreasing immunization rates. I've had several people tell me that they didn't give their kid the Hep B shot because they're not prostitutes or drug users. Part of me wants to scream and educate, and I try to. I just don't feel comfortable using my son's story to educate them. We live in a small town, in a small county, in a small state. He already stands out enough because of his ethnicity.

But I LOVE reading your blog and others who are open about these things. It does provide me with support. Thank you.

Sometimes it even seems that HIV/AIDS is a "sexier" topic than Hep B. There are more resources out there, more celebrities involved in the cause, maybe even less stigma??

I'm just babbling now, but I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Jenn 2:30 PM  

I love this blog post! We went to a conference just this past weekend and were able to hear the Twietmeyer family speak a couple of times. So encouraging and educational. Thank you for being so honest and open. There is no shame!