Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday Marcy 24 (I think?!)

Hi all. Sitting here in the internet cafe next to the Nigerian scammers (according to Paul) listening to classic American country being blasted over the radio! LOL!

No real news to report. No passports--Edward is doing everything he can. Just one of those things. Bright is doing great. He wouldn't go to anybody else at church today--SUCH a huge change in such a short time! He loves me! He loves me! LOL!

The problem now is that I have to back off a bit to "ween" him before I go because I don't want him to be traumatized when I leave him. I have a friend coming this week that asked me stay with her at the hotel (DutcHotel--looks great). We (Paul, Eric, and I) all agree that it will be best for Bright to sleep at HoM while I am at the hotel this week. For one thing, the AC will likely make him sick. But mostly it will help him get used to more time without me before I go. It's going to be a hard week in that respect, but I'm really looking forward to the time with my friend and all of the things we might accomplish together for the children of Ghana!!!

Today after church today the pastor prayed over Bright and I. I cannot tell you what a blessing that was to me. People now declare that I am no longer an "Obruni Ko Ko" (white foreigner that turns red from the sun)--now I am a Ghanaian. =-) Not sure about that, but I am definitely more Ghanaian than i was when I came. This trip has been so different from my last. This time I have experienced Ghana--not the tourist version of Ghana. Even though the heat has been difficult, I wouldn't want to change a thing.

Before I sign off just a few things.... Ghanaian and American

"I think you get what I'm saying." --- "Do you understand?"

"I'm coming." ---- "I'm leaving"

"Sorry, sorry sorry!" ----- "Oops! or Excuse me"

"Bright Mommy" (insert name of your child) ---- Addressing you with respect--better than first name.

"Mommy/Daddy" ---A term used by EVERYBODY for ANYBODY that is old enough to be your mother or father. The children all call me "Mommy" and Lawrencia "Mommy." The ones that have a mommy still just call their mom "Mommy." So don't be offended when your kids call other people mommy or daddy when you are here. I've decided to call myself "mama" to Bright to help him differenciate a bit.

"He/She" -----These words are constantly mixed up here. He's called she's, his caled hers, etc. Just a heads up. =-)

Water--dont' be a spoiled obruni and buy only bottled water! It's WAY more expensive! You can buy a 15 ounce bag of water here for 400 cedis (around .04). It is just as safe and clean, more convenient, and will save you a TON of money!!! I bought like 240 ounces of water in Ho Hoe for less than a dollar!!!!

Okay, that's all for now. Many more tidbits to share once I am home.

Love,
Anita and Bright

5 comments:

Anonymous 4:11 PM  

Great stuff! Can't wait to hear the rest!

Anonymous 4:11 PM  

Great stuff! Can't wait to hear the rest!

Cameo 10:38 PM  

I love hearing about different countries and cultures. Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

Jenn 5:30 PM  

anita, i have truly enjoyed reading your posts from ghana! praying for you and bright.

CC 7:05 AM  

Hi Anita,

I have been following your journey to Bright and wish you and Eric the best of luck in finalizing all the pieces. I love hearing of Ghana, it sounds like an amazing place. The world is such a large and wonderful place isn't it?!

Cathy