Sunday, November 18, 2007

"Meant to Be"

Thanks to all of you who commented on my last post. Interesting thoughts. I really got a lot out of Chanda's post, didn't you? I think in the end we all feel the same about our kids. In an ideal world kids wouldn't have to lose their original families. But we don't live in an ideal world. God's original plan was for us all to live in perfection, but Adam and Eve sort of doomed the rest of us with their "original sin!"

So...I don't know that I believe adoption was an original part of God's plan for his people. But as soon as we became a sinful world I think God, in all of his infinite wisdom, chose adoption as a way to make the best out of a bad situation. He certainly uses adoption as a beautiful illustration of His love all throughout the Bible.

Of course this brings up all of the questions like, "Did God know Adam and Eve would choose to sin, since He knows all things?" I'm not even close to qualified to discuss that folks! Some things can wait for heaven!!!

I know one thing for sure. I pray like crazy that my kids' original families are (or will become) Christians so that we can all have one giant family reunion in eternity.

Anita

1 comments:

Mary Ellyn 7:03 AM  

I'll confess that I didn't read the linked post thoroughly...but didn't God adopt us into His family. A number of Bible verses come to mind: (depending on the translation you read -- the word adoption may or may not be used)

Romans 8:15
Romans 8:23
Romans 9:4
Galatians 4:5
Ephesians 1:5

I promised not to get into the discussion of how saving faith is created! Although I have lots to say about that.

In our discussions with Alex we always include that we are all adopted sons and daughters of the triune God. We pray for his birthfamily daily. Since he is 10 1/2 years old now we are entering a new level of understanding about adoption.