Friday, June 26, 2009

Steps4Kids

A few weeks ago a fellow blogger sent me a free DVD for my kids, and asked that I share about the DVD on my blog. I feel so bad that I haven't done that yet! Today is the day! The kids and I sat down this morning to the DVD "Steps4Kids to Write Their ABCs." My kids are 3.5, 7.5, and 8.5. Bright is just beginning to think about drawing letters, so he mostly just watched and identified the letters when he saw them. Taevy is already proficient at writing her letters, so it was just a review "keep busy" activity for her. But Samren really struggles with writing letters and numbers. This was really good for him!

The DVD goes through how to write the entire upper and lower case alphabet. There are simple cue words like "draw a belly" or "draw a zoom line" that the kids catch on to quickly. I really liked that they didn't go in ABC order. Instead, the went in order that one letter could build upon another. For instance, the "r" group is "r", "n" and "m" because you begin with the "r" drawing sequence for each of those letters.

My kids' favorite part was when the video would show how to draw something using letters. For instance, they drew a little fox using letter strokes. The kids really got into that and I'm sure I will see foxes and monkeys and flowers and houses and all sorts of other little drawings that were inspired from the video.

The video was simple and to the point. Not a lot of fluff, which I like. The only thing I didn't like is that the sequence from one letter to the other was a bit quick. Samren would have benefited from me pausing the DVD after each letter so that he could keep up. Other than that, I thought it was really good.

If you're interested in checking out the DVDs just go to www.steps4kids.com. They have printing as well as cursive DVDs.

0 comments: