Monday, November 23, 2009

Smells like Thanksgiving....

Holiday times are when I am most thankful that I am homeschooling. For the past few years when my kids went to public school I totally hated sending them to school when I would rather be baking and crafting and celebrating with them at home. It's so nice this year that we can "do" our school but also do those other fun things AND count it as learning all the same!!!!

The baking and making has begun. Tonight Taevy and I made two pumpkin pies. Believe it or not, my first ever. My mom always makes them. I make other desserts usually. But since we can't go to Grandma's for her pie this year, we needed to make them. Two more pumpkin pies to go.

Before Thanksgiving Day we'll also be making Broccoli Cheese and Rice Casserole, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, rolls, Apple Crisp, Stovetop Stuffing (the easy way out!) and Corn Casserole. Some will go with us to Eric's family's Thanksgiving meal, but most will be left for "leftovers" for the weekend. My parent and aunt are coming to us, to spend the weekend shopping and preparing the house for Christmas. [Gotta eat Thanksgiving leftovers on Thanksgiving weekend because we'll be so tired from shopping we won't feel like cooking! My mom is bringing the "leftover" turkey.]

I think I must be the last person on earth to have heard of Corn Casserole. Someone made it at our church Thansgiving meal on Sunday. Man! I love that stuff! And it's so easy to make! So it's added to the menu for sure. =-)

I guess that's about it. A boring post about my boring life that feels pretty much perfect to me right now. Tomorrow is another day of Thanksgiving worksheets and making tail feathers out of cut out hands, and baking yummy food for people I love.

0 comments: