Sunday, March 14, 2010

Exactly What I Need

It never ceases to amaze me that the Lord gives me exactly what I need, exactly when I need it.

We've been visiting a church lately that's very different from our previous church. It's big, and established, and very white. White is okay, as long as we are mostly a group of same-minded people. Do they see my family walk in the door and think, "What a nice looking family." or do they see my family walk into the door and think, "That family has two black kids!" or do they see my family walk into the door and think, "There's an adoptive family. That will look good in our brochures." I just want them to see a nice looking family. The longer we visit the church, the more comfortable I am that they see us the way Jesus would see us.

It's no secret from the tone of my blog lately that there has been lots of behind the scenes adoption stuff to endure in the past week. Last night I hit my breaking point (which resulted in my last blog post). Today I woke up ready to go to battle for international adoption, but internally still very scared. Who am I? What power do I have? What can I do to make a difference? How far am I willing to go? All of these questions were going through my head as I absentmindedly dressed for church.

Then, of all days, the pastor today was a visiting pastor from Ghana. Wow! Did I ever need some "Ghana church" today! I needed that yelling, excited, clap for Jesus sort of sermon today. I needed to hear Pastor Oddai ask how far we were REALLY willing to go to stand up for our beliefs. I needed to hear his accent and see his clothing and breathe in just a bit of Ghana. Because I was reminded of why I would put it all on the line. Yes, for my Christ. But also for a country I love. I love Ghana too much to see only corruption. I never want to see "her" like that. Pastor Oddai reminded me of my love for Ghana. And he reminded me that *I* don't have to do anything. I am just a vessel. Just a weak imperfect vessel. The Lord just needs me to be willing to be used. I can do that. I can put on my full armor of God and simply be open to His leading.

Anita

3 comments:

whenpigsfly 9:17 PM  

Isn't that just like God............exactly when you needed a good dose of Ghana to get your balance and to sharpen your focus, He sent this pastor to be right smack dab in the middle of your path so you could encounter him. God is so good, and as I am reminded so often, "God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called". Precious that He did some new equipping for you today!
Love,
Linda
whose kiddos are excited about the possibility of your kiddos coming for a visit!

Jen 11:32 PM  

I am so glad to hear that you were blessed this way. How incredible that God sent you this blessing when you needed it. I am praying for adoptions.

Teabo Chica 1:32 PM  

Get ready the battle is on, and He already has victory! Thats great to read this. How awesome is our God!