Monday, October 11, 2010

KINDLE

Some of you asked me to let you know how I liked (or didn't like) the Kindle. I've got to say, I really like it.

For quite a while I didn't WANT to want one--because I love the feel of turning a page. I love the smell of an old book. I like the weight of it in my hands (well, maybe not for TOO long). I feel like sometimes we sacrifice good stuff in the name of "moving forward" with technology. But in the end, the thought of being able to keep 3500 books on one 6 inch tall device won me over. I just don't have the storage space for all the books I read.

I haven't regretted the purchase one iota! It's great. It doesn't get hot while you are reading it. It's lightweight, but still heavy enough that it feels about like a 200 page paperback. For my eyes, it feels just like reading a book. It doesn't at all feel like a "screen" because there is no back lighting. You must read with a lamp or book light. At the same time, you can read outside in the bright sun and can see it just fine.

I spend a lot of my time crocheting. I've often wanted to read my book while crocheting, but couldn't because a book won't stay open in my lap while using both hands to crochet. With the Kindle I can read and crochet at the same time, pausing ever page to push the "page turn" button. BIG PLUS!!

It takes a little getting used to holding it. After having it for a while, it feels pretty normal and I've found "my" way to hold it--holding and page turning with one hand. But I hold it completely different than I used to hold a regular book. It's not better or worse, just different--sort of like transferring from a desktop computer to a laptop computer!

One thing that I didn't realize is that it's not like they have a database listing all of the millions of free books out there. You need to google for them to find them. Not a big deal, but something I didn't realize before purchasing.

It is totally cool that I can go to Amazon, find a book, purchase, and download in less than a minute. Instant gratification baby!!! No more waiting until it's shipped or until I can get to the book store to purchase the next book in the series I'm reading!

I didn't realize that there is an "experimental" feature where you can actually go on the internet--just regular internet. It's definitely a program in its beta stage. Still, it's pretty cool to know that I can check my email from the Kindle in a pinch.

Eric (legally blind) can actually READ a book on Kindle! If for no other reason, it was worth the purchase just because of that. If it was back lit he probably wouldn't be able to focus in as well, but he can blow up the font on a Kindle and read a real book now. Super cool for the hubby.

There is feature where the Kindle can read to you (with or without headphones). Taevy really likes this feature. In a pinch it's good that it's there, but I don't really care to have it read to me. The reader is TONS better than what was out there 10 years ago. [I know this because Eric's vision software has a reader and we used to have so much fun making it say "Who's your daddy?" in its computerish voice!] The voices sound much more natural now, but they still don't know how to take appropriate pause--read through a double dash, title, etc..

There are all sorts of other features that I haven't messed around with yet. You can highlight passages, make notes, read others' notes, upload to facebook, etc.. I just don't really need those things. I'm sure they work. =-)

I am still amazed at how long the battery stays charged. I haven't had it for the 3-4 weeks it's supposed to stay charged, but it is still at full battery strength 10 days in. Freaky! Eric explained to me why it would be easy to keep a battery charged this long, but I continue to be amazed.

The other day we had an appointment for Kendi that I thought would last maybe an hour. It ended up lasting 4 hours and I hadn't come prepared with anything for the kids to do. We waited in the doctor's office, waited at the lab, lots of waiting. The kids were bored stiff at one point, so I pulled out the Kindle, used the hospital's wi-fi to download Alice in Wonderland, and read to the kids right there in the waiting room. So cool!!! Kindle got major mommy points that day.

All in all, it was a great purchase. I highly recommend that any busy mommy that loves to read put it on your Christmas list. The whole family can use it.

Anita
P.S. There are also games to play (like video games), but I haven't tried those yet.

0 comments: