Friday, July 22, 2011

Heat, in perspective

Do you think it's possible to get that seasonal depression syndrome thing from too much heat? Probably not, huh? But I am seriously so over the 100+ days here in OK that I actually feel down about it. I find myself hoping for a cloud that will cause it to be overcast for just a moment or two. And rain? That seems almost too much to hope for at this point. Our elected officials are calling for us to pray for rain. The grass in our city that is usually a deep dark green about this time is about 50% dead (more in some areas). The grass looks more like it does in mid-autumn. The trees are wilted. And the farms...oh the farms. The crops are a mess. So many farmers who will have little or no crop to bring in.


We've had 22 straight days of temps over 100 degrees here. We usually had around 10 days A YEAR where temps are over 100, and we've had 21 IN A ROW (more than 21 for this year already). I read my FB friends statuses that are talking about the unusually cold temps in their area, and dream of what 50 degrees feels like. Of course, I know that it's all about balance, and if it were cold here every day I would be wishing for heat!


Our area isn't just in the middle of a heat wave. We are in a drought. A bonified drought. Food prices are going up because of it. Between the food prices and the electricity bills, folks are paying a pretty penny more than usual to keep their standard of living. Lots of A/C units can't handle the constant running and are breaking down. Good for the A/C repairman but not so good for Joe Schmoe resident or business owner!


And yet... And yet! There is absolutely *NO* worry that we won't have food to eat. There is no worry we are going to be stuck in a no man's land where the animals have all died and the food has all been eaten, causing us to walk our sick and dieing babies 17 days in the HOPE of something better in another area. There is no worry my babies are going to die trying to escape this drought. That is what much of Africa is dealing with. They have no time to be "down" because they are too busy trying to survive.


Being in the dumps about too much sunshine, too much heat, and not enough rain is a developed world luxury, isn't it? I have the luxury to sit here in my easy chair, with the fan blowing and the a/c on and consider how I'm feeling about the weather lately. I have the luxury to worry about all of the grass dieing, instead of my babies.


Love,

Anita

3 comments:

Laurel 9:18 PM  

Great perspective!

We have had over-the-top record RAIN this spring and summer. We dream of 100 degree days. But, I do admit that 22 of them in a row would get a little old.

Our farmers were quite concerned about the affect the rain would have on the crops. Our little county grows over 50% of all of the Raspberries in the U.S. Thankfully, we got just enough sun at just the right times and our crops are doing well.

I do think, though, that our corn crops have been adversely affected. We have acres and acres of corn, which feeds our acres and acres of cows. This is Dairy and Berry country.

Hope you get a few clouds or sprinkles soon.

Laurel

C and G 10:04 PM  

I hear ya! Here on the Left coast we've had more rain than I'd like this summer but every time I have an annoyed though about it I am reminded of the heat wave the rest of the country is experiencing and then the drought that is in the Horn of Africa and I have to thank God for what he has given and pray that he'll send some of it to the places that need it the most . . .

Claire 4:08 PM  

I hope things turn around for you soon! That is how our June was (in Mississippi.) Yeah, it's always hot here, but this was the hottest June in recorded history. And then the drought meant no rain for like two months...plus wildfires all the time. It was pretty scary! Thankfully we have had several thunderstorms this past week, with weather "only" in the mid 90's. I hope the rest of the country follows suit soon.