Saturday, December 03, 2011

IEP Virgin

On Thursday we had our first IEP meeting for Bright. I really had no idea what to expect. I hadn't done any research or even read the parents' rights. I know, I know....bad mommy. But life has been hectic and it is what it is.

Since our "school" is unique (a public charter school where kids are educated at home by parents) the meeting took place at our house. Bright qualifies for services based on cognitive, behavioral/emotional, and speech and language delays.

I really had no clue what services were available for Bright and, honestly, most of what is available wouldn't really help him at this point. I guess it's just a matter of getting him into the system, where he will stay for the next three years at least.

We will have the assistance of the speech pathologist and the special ed resources teacher anytime we need it. At this point, that's fine.

The most interesting part of the meeting was that as I looked at the lists of things that they can do to help kids, I saw a lot that would help Samren! It was already on my list to have him evaluated next (speech and OT concerns). I just wanted to get Bright taken care of first. I'm a little excited to see the ways that Samren might be accommodated to be more successful at his school work!

Anita

0 comments: