Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Made My Day!

Yesterday was a terribly, no good, very bad day. No lie. I felt *SO* discouraged about things, and just....so.....tired. I can't go into detail, but let me just say that it is now very evident to me (if it wasn't already) that I am not at all meant to be a bookkeeper or accountant! I went to bed with a sad face on, and knowing that today would have to be better simply by default.


I woke up this morning with a lot to do and not enough time to do it. [No, I shouldn't be taking time to write this right now.] Someone has to make the donuts, right?


A few hours ago I got a call from my boss. Since I began working for AAI I have been considered a "contractor." I don't feel like a contractor. I'm not paid like a contractor (per case). I don't have a contractor adoption coordinating business. I feel like an employee. It's a little thing that has really weighed on me, and I've let that be known. Well, my boss called me today to let me know that as of March 1st, I will be an AAI employee!! That definitely put a smile on my face. I've put in 5 years to achieve that status. She said that was the "just good but not really good news." This change to employee status also means additional pay for my work. THAT was the really good news, she said. =-) The reason this is big to me is because it's a way of saying that I am a valued member of the team--it's not so much about the money.


A few weeks ago I posted about "Martha's Home." This little foster home had few resources and needed help to send the kids to school and give them an adequate diet. We put out the word, and within a day families stepped up to help meet that need. [It never grows old to see the generosity of families first-hand!]


Today the money was hand-delivered by one of our AAI adoptive families. I got a call from Martha SO EXCITED and SO THANKFUL for the funds to meet the kids' needs. A few minutes ago I received the following note (edited to protect privacy):


Hello Anita,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Anita, I am very grateful to you for helping me give education to these kids. God bless you so much. In fact A and J were very happy when they saw S and a white friend from the USA, together with Mr. A. Everything went on successfully and tomorrow we will send them to school. The total amount was 700US$. We will start sending you photos of the kids at school very soon and all other details that you requested from us so that you could show them to your sponsors.

S was very friendly and we wish she was going to spend some more days here but unfortunately, she is leaving tomorrow. She gave bags, dresses, pencils and some books to the kids. all we can say is Thank you.

Much Love,
Martha.


There are times that I question my own motives. Am I doing this work because of money or status? Am I doing it to look like a good person? And then something like the above is sent from Ghana, and it strikes me that THAT is the big news of my day. I'm so exceptionally grateful for the changes the agency is making so that I feel valued. More than anything though, it's the opportunity to see a difference being made in the lives of orphaned and vulnerable children that keeps me going. I'm thankful that the Lord gave me the opportunity to learn that about myself today.


Love,

Anita

P.S. Two of the three children at Martha's Home still need educational sponsors at $35 a month and food sponsors at $50 per month! The funds given only secure school until the next session in April. Please email brooke@adoptionadvocates.org if you'd like to sponsor one of the kiddos!

4 comments:

Dozen Senses 5:01 PM  

You are doing this work because ot is your gift . . . your calling. Never stop.

Dozen Senses 5:04 PM  

The world is a better place because you are doing this work and you do it so generously and so well!

Arnold family 5:31 PM  

So exciting that you are an official employee now, you do such great work!!!!
Best,
Holly

Laurel 11:26 PM  

Woo Hoo for the job news. So happy for you. And ... any raise is a BLESSING from above.


:) :) :)