Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pineapple--Itchy Teeth/Mouth???

Last summer when I was in Ghana my friends and I were killing time and the subject of pineapple came up. I was telling my friends how much I LOVE Ghana's pineapples, and I could eat it all day! They were telling me that they like pineapple as well, except for the teeth itching. What? Huh? I thought it must be something lost in translation. We wasted a lot of time trying to figure out if we were losing something in translation. Fast forward to this afternoon.


Kendi and Bright were eating pineapple. Kendi looked over at me and in all seriousness says, "Mommy, this pineapple makes my mouth and my teeth itch!" At the same moment I look over and Bright is literally itching is tongue! LOL!


Hmm.... Is this a Ghanaian thing? Does pineapple make anybody else out there have an itchy mouth (Ghanaian or not)? I'm curious now!


Anita

7 comments:

exmish 6:54 PM  

Jacob ate canned crushed pineapple tonight and no comments regarding itchy mouth/teeth. I'll let you know if I hear otherwise!!

Elly 9:15 PM  

Is it fresh pineapple? That causes tingling for me, whereas canned doesn't. See this for explanation: http://www.yumsugar.com/Burning-Question-Why-Does-Pineapple-Irritate-Your-Mouth-3098109

frogglet 11:11 PM  

I get that with all kinds of fresh fruit, not every time but it is the weirdest feeling.

Anonymous 12:38 PM  

Yes, it causes burning/ tingling because of the acid. You have to eat quite a bit usually

A. Gillispie 2:07 PM  

Elly, that link was interesting! So, a Ghanaian friend posted a comment on my FB page and said that most Ghanaian children can't take pineapple because of the feeling it gives them in their mouth. I don't think there is anything else similar to pineapple in the Ghanaian diet (not many sweet and tart things, natural or man-made). Ahh! Actually, it was when I shared my skittles that one of my friends gave his mouth the same feel as pineapple! Interesting stuff.

Laurel 1:58 AM  

Too funny!

I'm not a pineapple eater, but none of my kids have ever complained of itchy tongues.

:) :) :)

Anonymous 4:05 PM  

It is called Oral Allergy Syndrome and typically occurs with fruits such as pineapple, plums, peaches, and apples.